Blog Archive

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Pie, Socks, and the Gospel

            Years ago my husband and I heard stories of how evangelist and founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Bill Bright often led others to Christ on airplanes or wherever he happened to be. We marveled at how simple it all seemed. He shared the Gospel, and people accepted Jesus. We didn’t doubt the stories or the sincerity of those who prayed, but we did scratch our heads.
Why didn’t this ever happen to us? What were we doing wrong? Was it the approach? The words we used? Our lack of knowledge about apologetics or the authenticity of the Bible? Were we inept at sharing our faith stories? What was our problem? There had to be something. If we were doing things right, would we have such odd things happen when we shared Christ? Yes, odd. Let me give you a couple of examples.
When we lived in Queens, New York, years ago, we tried to reach out to a nearby family. One evening we crossed the street with a homemade apple pie for a couple and their young daughters. Pleased, the wife invited us in; her husband was distracted by a game on TV. She cut the pie, and all I remember is a short, tense visit. After that none of them ever spoke to us again or acknowledged our presence.
Another household on our side of the street was a little friendlier. In fact, our daughters played together occasionally. One Saturday my husband ventured two doors down to ask the affable, single dad about coming to church with us. He politely refused because he had to wash his socks. That is not a typo of any sort. He told my husband that he had to wash his socks on Sunday morning. (Subtext: I don’t want to go to church, and I don’t want to say it to you.) 

Yes, this is history. Although no one else has had to wash socks, we are still far, far from experiencing anything that Bill Bright did during this lifetime. I suppose that data collectors might explain this by our changing culture, desensitization to spiritual hunger, an overindulged society, or any number of other things. I don’t know about those things, but here are a few things my husband and I have learned and decided since the pie, the socks, and even our recent encounter with an agnostic neighbor.
1.       Jesus doesn’t ask us to be successful. (What a relief!) He asked us to be faithful in telling others the Good News. One of our favorite Bible characters is Jeremiah, who had a message to share, and God told Jeremiah he would be ignored and worse!
2.       Somewhere along the line in my numerous pursuits of learning how to share the Gospel, I heard that on average, someone needs to hear the Good News five or six times before understanding and accepting Christ. I’ll just admit it right now—I already confessed to my discipleship group—I want to be messenger number five or six. What Christian doesn’t want to be the one to see a spiritual birth right before her eyes and be a part of the delivery process? But Jesus has brought me to the point that although I would still like to see that happen sometime, I tell him I’ll be number three or four.
3.       So my husband and I have assumed new roles: demolition and agriculture. That’s right. Many times those who are lost have a lot of walls that need to come down before they can come closer to Christ. My husband is a brainy guy who understands apologetics, and he is good at weakening walls of lies and deceptions by asking questions and sharing truth. Agriculture? Although harvesting appeals to me, you can’t harvest until seeds are planted and have time to grow. I like to plant seeds of kindness and sharing how much Jesus has done for me, including how his love overcame my fear and brought me near to him.

         Have you gotten discouraged by your own stories of snubbers and sock-washers? Have you seen nothing for all your prayers, tears, and effort? You might be a Jeremiah, a number four, or you might be someone who hoes or waters those seeds. But we all must take heart. The final harvest is not in. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up (Galatians 6:9). 

No comments:

Post a Comment